I’ll be the first to admit that certain occupations come with a certain stigma, HVAC technicians being one of them. I’ve spent 20 years working with HVAC technicians, and have since become an expert in sorting the honest men from the bad boys. It’s tough to trust a repair man that you’ve just met. Below are a few tips to help you determine if your next HVAC technician is trustworthy or not.
Trustworthy HVAC technicians should possess the following traits:
- He should be able to show proper licenses, certifications and insurance coverage required by California. Verify the license number on the California State license board website (www.cslb.ca.gov) to ensure legitimacy.
- He should always provide a written estimate for you to sign before any work is done, including all necessary parts and labor.
- Never accept an estimate over the phone. It is impossible to diagnose a problem unless the technician is at your home to run the proper tests.
- He should be able to tell you about his company’s guarantee on service and warranty on parts.
- His answers to your questions regarding cost or hours of labor are direct and to the point.
- He doesn’t use elaborate descriptions when explaining why your system isn’t cooling, air vents need cleaning or your thermostat is broken.
- He gets in and wants to get the job done in a timely manner.
- Test him by asking what he would recommend his mother do in your situation. Most honest men will have a difficult time lying when it involves their mother.
- Ask what you can do yourself. If it’s the simple cleaning of an air vent, he should be able to diagnose the problem and show you how to clean the vents in the future.
Checking for the above traits when hiring an HVAC technician will save you time, money, and stress. Consider calling ARS® Air Conditioning Services next time you need an HVAC expert in your home (877) 698-7972. ARS has an Exceptional Service Guarantee and refund policy, and provides service to homes in Orange County, Inland Empire and San Diego. All ARS HVAC technicians are carefully selected, drug and background tested, and trained to provide the most thorough and honest service in your home.
By Colin Martodam, HVAC Expert and Regional Manager of ARS Air Conditioning Services