History Day at the Rancho Cucamonga Rains House
Families are invited to try life as early Californians lived it at the John Rains House in Rancho Cucamonga on Saturday, April 21, from 11am to 2pm. This event is free of charge.
Family activities will reflect the life of the early Southern California settlers: beating rugs, washing clothes the old-fashioned way, making candles, making and playing with whirly gigs—all activities common in the 1800s. Participants will take home several projects they make at the event. Activities are suitable for children ages 4 and older.
The day will also include tours of the fired brick John Rains House led by members of the Casa de Rancho Cucamonga Historical Society. The John Rains House is the restored 1860 residence of John and Maria Merced Rains on the Cucamonga Rancho. It passed through several owners between 1871 and 1971 when it was purchased by the County of San Bernardino and became a San Bernardino County Museum Historic Site. The John Rains House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the oldest fired brick structure standing in San Bernardino County.
The John Rains House, a San Bernardino County Museum historic site, is at 8810 Hemlock Street in Rancho Cucamonga. To reach the site, take Vineyard Avenue north from Interstate 10. Turn right on Hemlock, just north of Foothill Boulevard. No admission fee is charged; donations will go toward the preservation and maintenance of the historic site. For more information call (909) 307-2669 ext. 271, or visit www.sbcountymuseum.org. Parking is free. For more information, visit www.sb countymuseum.org. The museum is accessible to persons with disabilities. If assistive listening devices or other auxiliary aids are needed in order to participate in museum exhibits or programs, requests should be made through Museum Visitor Services at least three business days prior to your visit. Visitor Services’ telephone number is 909-307-2669 ext. 229 or (TDD) 909-792-1462.