RIVERSIDE, CALIF. — May 6, 2013 — Each year, the NAACP Riverside Branch recognizes individuals and organizations that have made significant contributions in the community. NAACP Riverside will host its 2013 Freedom Fund Celebration on Thursday, May 16, 2013 from 5:00-9:00 p.m. at the Riverside Auditorium and Events Center in downtown Riverside. This year’s theme is “Embracing Our Past… Planting Seeds for Tomorrow.” City of Riverside Economic Development Coordinator Gregory Lee will be the Master of Ceremony for the evening and the distinguished keynote speaker will be City of Riverside Mayor Rusty Bailey. Honorees being recognized this year include:
· Business Award - One Nation Media/Sheri L. Stuart
· Community Service Award - Latino Network
· Education Award - Dr. Rick Miller, RUSD Superintendent
· Health Award - Harriette Stuckey, MPH of Heart & Soul Line Dance
· Media Award - Lee Ragin, Editor of Black Voice News
· Political Award - Janet Green, Riverside Community College Board of Trustees
· Government Award - Stanley Sniff, Riverside County Sheriff
· Religion Award - Rev. L.E. Campbell, Park Avenue Baptist Church
In addition, our special President’s Award Honorees include: Roy Wilkins Award to Ralph Nunez, director of Riverside Parks and Recreation; Omar Stratton Award to Michael Bartee, Coach and Mentor, retired-John W. North High School; and the Griot Award to Dr. Sterling Stuckey, Professor Emeritus-UCR.
The mission of the NAACP is to advocate for political, education, social and economic quality of rights for all citizens, as well as eradicate racial injustice. TheNAACP-Riverside Branch has been fulfilling this mission serving the community for over 70 years. The organization has been recognizing significant contributions at this gala affair since the mid-1950s when the first Freedom Fund Dinner was held.
Tickets are $65 per person or $1,000 per row and can be purchased online at www.naacp-riverside.org. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org, 951-324-9603 or www.facebook.com/RiversideNAACP.