New Display Opening at Depot Museum
Artifacts on loan from the descendants of William F. Holcomb will go on display January 21, 2012 at the San Bernardino History & Railroad Museum at 11 AM. The museum, which is in the depot at 1170 W Third Street, will also feature items from the San Bernardino Society of California Pioneers, which was organized on January 21, 1888 and will celebrate its 124thanniversary that day. In 1982 the City of San Bernardino Historical Society, which was formed because of the Nation’s Bicentennial, merged with the Pioneer Society and became the San Bernardino Historical & Pioneer Society. Today, the organization continues to preserve San Bernardino’s past and display it at the Heritage House and Library at 796 N “D” Street and at the San Bernardino History & Railroad Museum at the depot. Also joining us on January 21st, will be members of the Billy Holcomb Chapter of E Clampus Vitus. It was Penny Holcomb’s wish that they be included.
Artifacts from the Holcomb family include the rifle Holcomb carried in the San Bernardino Mountains to protect himself from the Grizzly Bears and a rocker box used when Holcomb discovered gold in Big Bear in 1860. Also loaned to the society is an original photo of five pioneers, William F Holcomb, John Brown, Sr, John Brown, Jr, George Miller, and BB Harris. This photo was so clear, it allowed us to make a life-size print of WF Holcomb holding the rifle.
In 1901, they built a log cabin for the upcoming visit of President McKinley. He was unable to visit the cabin, but was moved to eulogize the Pioneers for their efforts. They built 3 more log cabins in the following ten years for various events. The last one in 1911 was set up in Pioneer Park where it remained until fire damaged it in 1973.
The display will show many other artifacts and photos collected by the Pioneer Society.