Firefighter rescues choking toddler
Redlands – A Redlands fire crew was in the right place at the right time for a choking toddler and his mother during a lunch hour visit to a local grocery store.
Redlands Fire Department Engineer Fred Eberhardt was at the Vons Market at522 N. Orange St. at about noon Sunday, Feb. 13, when he noticed an 18-month-old boy choking on a piece of candy. Bystanders had begun to panic trying to free the object from the child’s airway.
Engineer Eberhardt quickly took the child and administered abdominal thrusts and back blows and was able to dislodge the candy from the child’s airway. The child was examined and monitored for several minutes by paramedic Jeff Kuhnand returned to his mother in stable condition.