Redlands: Passerby keeps structure fire in check until firefighters arrive
Redlands, CA – A passerby kept a structure fire in check with a garden hose until Redlands Firefighters arrived to put out the blaze.
Firefighters received a call of a structure fire in the two-story single-family homein the 600 block of Jeremy Court at about 6:30 a.m. Friday, April 29.
Upon arrival firefighters saw smoke coming from the second floor windows andattic vents. The fire had been kept in check by a passerby who used a gardenhose at the house. The Good Samaritan was checked by Fire Departmentparamedics for injuries and smoke inhalation, but he had no complaints.
The residents had evacuated the house prior firefighters’ arrival and a thoroughsearch of the building was clear of people and pets. Firefighters remained onscene for approximately three and a half hours to thoroughly extinguish andinvestigate the cause.
The fire was believed to be caused by an overloaded electrical circuit. Thehouse had several electrical issues and the room of origin was receivingelectricity from a series of extension cords from the laundry room. The RedlandsFire Department wishes to emphasize that extension cords should not be used inplace of fixed wiring due to the risk of fire. Electrical issues should be addressedby a qualified electrician to avoid creating a hazardous condition.
Structural damage and property loss to the home are estimated at $15,000.