Riverside Unified School District To Showcase Healthy Food Choices For Kids At Culinary Salon Riverside
The RUSD’s “Farmers Market Salad Bar” is a nationally recognized program developed to help students become lifelong healthy eaters
RIVERSIDE, Calif.—Riverside Unified School District (RUSD) Nutrition Services Director Rodney Taylor is committed to reversing the trends of childhood obesity. And he’s equally committed to making sure that the students in his district have healthy food choices.
More than five years ago, Mr. Taylor launched RUSD’s “Farmers Market Salad Bar,” a program which provides students access to fresh fruits and vegetables on a daily basis during lunch. The produce for the salad bar is purchased from local farmers. The “Farmers Market Salad Bar” is the leading health initiative of its kind in the country, and is recognized as a national model for schools and districts interested in providing greater access to fresh fruits and vegetables to the students.
To bring recognition to RUSD’s pioneering program, Culinary Salon Riverside today announced a partnership with the district to showcase a “Farmers Market Salad Bar” during the inaugural culinary competition and food festival, scheduled for September 22-25, 2011 at The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa and other Historic Downtown Riverside locations.
RUSD Chef Ryan Douglas will be on hand at Culinary Salon Riverside to share information with families on healthy food choices and to provide children with locally grown fruits and vegetables. Chef Ryan Douglas is also in the process of developing a cookbook for kids that is based on the fresh salad bar.
For Mr. Taylor, school districts are in a position to play an integral role in building communities that support healthy eating habits for all children, simply because many kids eat two important meals at school.
“The Farmers Market Salad Bar program is now in place in 30 elementary schools in the Riverside Unified School District,” said Taylor. “I am so pleased to be part of a school district that invests in healthy minds and healthy bodies.”
The concept of Culinary Salon Riverside was developed by Duane R. Roberts, who with his wife Kelly are the “Keepers of The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa.” The event involves a collaboration of organizations and talented individuals throughout the Inland Empire region: Riverside Community College Culinary Academy, the American Culinary Federation Southern California (ACF) and the California Inland Empire Chefs & Cooks Association. The array of activities will include:
- The Duane R. Roberts Culinary Competitions. Both professionals and students will compete in more than 30 categories in various locations throughout Downtown Riverside. American Culinary Federation (ACF)-sanctioned categories will include the savory and sweet, as well as ice carving.
- The Judges. ACF-certified judges from around the nation will oversee the competitions.
- The Prizes. Awards and prize monies will be slated for each category, with Best of Salon as the “crème de la crème.”
- The Demonstrations. Visitors will enjoy observing professional and celebrity chefs as they demonstrate their skills and expertise.
- The Celebrations. Culinary Salon Riverside will feature many displays, demonstrations, competitions, cocktail parties and dinners in an extraordinary atmosphere of international world-class cuisine.
For more information, please visit www.culinarysalonriverside.com.