ACF Culinary Youth Team USA To Compete In Culinary Salon Riverside
RIVERSIDE, Calif.—The inaugural Culinary Salon Riverside, scheduled for September 22-25, 2011 at The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa and other Historic Downtown Riverside locations, has announced that the American Culinary Federation (ACF) Youth Team USA will compete in the event’s cooking competitions.
The youth team is part of ACF Team USA 2012 which consists of the national team, Regional team, Army Team and youth team coming to Culinary Salon Riverside. These teams fall under the leadership of Steve Jilleba, CMC, AAC.
Managed by Chef Alex Darvishi and coached by Chef Randy Torres, the ACF Culinary Youth Team USA will head to Culinary Salon Riverside as it prepares to represent the United States at the October 2012 Internationale Kochkunst Ausstellung (IKA) International Culinary Exhibition, also known as the “culinary Olympics,” in Erfurt, Germany.
In addition to participating in the competitions at Culinary Salon Riverside, the youth team will also showcase its cooking prowess to hundreds of guests at a special Benefit Dinner to be held at The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa on Friday, September 23.
Throughout his career, Chef Darvishi has coached and mentored many young culinarians to championship titles. He is currently the Executive Chef at Houston Country Club in Houston.
Chef Torres is currently a chef instructor at the Oregon Coast Culinary Institute. He competed nationally and internationally as a member of the California Culinary Team from 1996 to 2004. In 2008, he again competed as a member of ACF Culinary Team USA and won gold in the 2008 IKA in Erfurt, Germany. Most recently, he coached the ACF Culinary Youth Team USA to three gold medals and first place finish at the Scot-Hot Culinary Grand Prix in Glasgow, Scotland.
Culinary Salons are remarkable forums of display and exhibition for the professional, student and admirers alike. They create a unique opportunity for learning, networking and sharing ideas to enhance one’s personal growth in the Culinary Arts and Food Service Industry.
“Culinary Salon Riverside is shaping up to be a world-class event,” said Chef Torres. “When the opportunity to bring the ACF Culinary Youth Team USA to Riverside was presented, I agreed immediately. We hope people from near and far will attend the Salon to support our team and all of the competitors.”
The concept of Culinary Salon Riverside was developed by Duane R. Roberts, who with his wife Kelly are the “Keepers of The Mission Inn Hotel & Spa.” The event involves a collaboration of organizations and talented individuals throughout the Inland Empire region: Riverside Community College Culinary Academy, the American Culinary Federation Southern California (ACF) and the California Inland Empire Chefs & Cooks Association. The array of activities will include:
- The Duane R. Roberts Culinary Competitions. Both professionals and students will compete in more than 30 categories in various locations throughout Downtown Riverside. American Culinary Federation (ACF)-sanctioned categories will include the savory and sweet, as well as ice carving.
- The Judges. ACF-certified judges from around the nation will oversee the competitions.
- The Prizes. Awards and prize monies will be slated for each category, with Best of Salon as the “crème de la crème.”
- The Demonstrations. Visitors will enjoy observing professional and celebrity chefs as they demonstrate their skills and expertise.
- The Celebrations. Culinary Salon Riverside will feature many displays, demonstrations, competitions, cocktail parties and dinners in an extraordinary atmosphere of international world-class cuisine.
For more information on Culinary Salon Riverside, please go to www.culinarysalonriverside.com.