History Day at the John Rains House
Families are invited to try life as early Californians lived it at the John Rains House in Rancho Cucamonga on Saturday, February 26, from 11am to 2pm. This event is free of charge.
Family activities will reflect the life of the early Southern California settlers—beat rugs, wash clothes the old-fashioned way, make candles, make whirly gigs and corn husk dolls, and other activities common in the 1800s. Children can even make an authentic adobe brick to take home. Activities are suitable for children ages 4 and older.
The day will also include tours of the fired brick John Rains House led by members of the Casa de Rancho Cucamonga Historical Society. The John Rains House is the restored 1860 residence of John and Maria Merced Rains on the Cucamonga Rancho. It passed through several owners between 1871 and 1971 when it was purchased by the County of San Bernardino and became a San Bernardino County Museum Historic Site. The John Rains House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the oldest fired brick structure standing in San Bernardino County.
The John Rains House, a San Bernardino County Museum historic site, is at 8810 Hemlock Street in Rancho Cucamonga. To reach the site, takeVineyard Avenue north from Interstate 10. Turn right on Hemlock, just north of Foothill Boulevard. No admission fee is charged; donations will go toward the preservation and maintenance of the historic site. For more information call (909) 307-2669 ext. 271, or visit www.sbcountymuseum.org.