Call for Artists Opens for December 2 Memorial Project
San Bernardino, CA – The December 2 Memorial Committee invites artists, designers and architects locally and internationally to submit their ideas to create the December 2 Memorial project.
The Board of Supervisors retained Community Arts Inc. to assist the committee by issuing an invitational call for submittals to artists, designers, architects and creative teams. More information about the invitational call can be viewed here.
History of the San Bernardino California Terrorist Attack, #SBStrong
The Memorial Committee selected the east side of the San Bernardino County Government Center campus at 385 N. Arrowhead Avenue in San Bernardino, as a site for the memorial. According to the committee’s mission statement, the artwork must:
- Permanently honor and celebrate the innocent souls taken from us by a brutal and cowardly act of terror on December 2, 2015 and provide enduring recognition of the county employees who witnessed the attack, many of whom were physically injured and all of whom were spiritually wounded.
- Acknowledge those who bravely and selflessly provided protection, comfort, and support to the loved ones of those who were lost, the wounded, our San Bernardino County Government Family, and our county community on the day of the attack and in the days, weeks, and months that followed.
- Ensure that our efforts focus on life, love, peace, tolerance, and San Bernardino County’s historic and enduring tradition of strength, determination and resiliency.
The call is open to everyone. Artists or their representatives are asked to submit documentation including a statement of interest, examples of past projects or artwork, a resume, three professional references, and the availability to start the project in January 2019.
Submittals will be evaluated based upon:
- Artistic vision
- Examples of past work
- Suitability of materials
- Past experience or the ability to team with experienced architects and engineers
- Evidence of the artist or team completing past projects on time and within budget
Materials can be submitted online through Slideroom at https://community-arts.slideroom.com. Alternately, submittals can be mailed to: Community Arts, Inc., 15 Douglass Street, San Francisco, CA 94114
Please email questions to: email@example.com.
Submittals of interest from artists are due by 5 p.m. on July 16, 2018. Five artists will be chosen from the submissions and selected artists will be commissioned to develop and submit detailed proposals and maquettes. A finalist will then be chosen to produce the memorial.
The December 2 Memorial Committee, led by Fifth District Supervisor Josie Gonzales, is comprised of employees from the Environmental Health Services division and family members of the county employees who were taken from us on that day along with representatives from appropriate county departments.