Free Thanksgiving Day Dinner At The Salvation Army for 138 Years
San Bernardino, Ca. – Salvation Army chapters throughout the Inland Empire will serve Thanksgiving Day meals, to all that attend including those who are without family or unable to provide a full-course turkey dinner for themselves.
[ecko_quote source=”Major Henderson, corps officer at the San Bernardino Corps. “]We are pleased to prove God’s spirit of giving and provide a Thanksgiving Day dinner to those in need.[/ecko_quote]
The San Bernardino Corps has served Thanksgiving dinner for 138 years.
“We are pleased to prove God’s spirit of giving and provide a Thanksgiving Day dinner to those in need,” said Major Henderson, corps officer at the San Bernardino Corps. “We also welcome those who are familiar with the many other services we offer throughout the year.”
The San Bernardino Corps is the dinner at the Corps new headquarters at 2626 Pacific Avenue, San Bernardino, where it moved in August of 2015.
At many locations, including the San Bernardino Corps, these meals take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., or until food runs out. Some locations will offer meals earlier.
The Salvation Army relies mostly on donations, so food will vary somewhat at locations, but will include turkey or chicken, pies, stuffing or rice, cranberry sauce, pies, cakes, greens, and other side dishes.
“We always have plenty of donations for Thanksgiving, but if you’d like to donate food it is always welcomed,” said Major Henderson.
“In addition to our Thanksgiving Day meal, we serve dinners to about 75 homeless women and children every day, and to some 25 men who are currently taking advantage of our cold-weather shelter in the evenings,” said Lt. Cathie McCully
Six nights a week, we serve meals close to 200 hungry people, some who are homeless and some who have a place to live, but need help with food in order to pay for everything else.
“The Salvation Army, San Bernardino will be giving toys for hundreds of children and 600 families holiday food baskets a few days before Christmas,” said Lt. McCully
Other corps of The Salvation Army also plan Thanksgiving meals. Call one of the phone numbers listed below learn the time and location of meals in your area.
- San Bernardino, 2626 Pacific Avenue, Thursday, November 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Riverside, 3695 First Street, (951) 784-3571. Wednesday, November 23 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Redlands, 838 Alta St., (909) 792-6868. Thursday, November 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Moreno Valley, 14075 Frederick St., (951) 653-9131. Thursday, November 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Ontario, 1412 S. Euclid Ave., (909) 986-6748. Thursday, November 24 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Victorville, 14585 La Paz Drive, (760) 245-2545. The Victorville Corps has traditionally served two Thanksgiving dinners, one at its headquarters and another in Apple Valley at the James A. Woody Community Center on 13467 Navajo Road. Both meals are served Thursday, November 24 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Hemet, 340 S. Palm Ave., (951) 791-9495. Thursday, November 24th 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
If you wish to be a volunteer to help the Salvation Army this Thanksgiving and Christmas season, please call The Salvation Army nearest you or call (909) 888-1336.
About the Salvation Army San Bernardino Corps
The Salvation Army may be able to provide emergency services including food; lodging for homeless or displaced families; clothing and furniture; assistance with rent or mortgage and transportation when funds are available. The Salvation Army Team Emergency Radio Network (SATERN) assists rescue workers and evacuees in such disasters as fires.
The Salvation Army is an evangelical part of the Universal Christian Church, and also offers evangelical programs for boys, girls and adults. One of the largest charitable and international service organizations in the world, The Salvation Army has been in existence since 1865 and in San Bernardino since 1887, supporting those in need without discrimination. Donations may always be made online at www.salvationarmyusa.org or by calling 1-(800)-SAL-ARMY. Our local number is (909) 888-1336.